Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Searching for a gym...

In mid July, when I realized that I was actually going to keep the goal I set of walking 10000 steps a day, I decided to reward myself with a gym membership.

When I look for a gym (I have done this a time or two in the past), I look for three things, in order of importance:

  • A lap pool (for water walking)
  • In indoor track (for walking in inclement weather)
  • Accessibility (hours of operation/proximity to residence)
I found two gyms (with the above requirements) in my area:
I love the Nat; I used to frequent that place when I lived in the falls years ago.  
  • PROS: Familiar, lots of free programs to members, awesome aquatics centers, member's guests are allowed  at  reasonable rates; best hours of any gym with pool; pay as you go monthly rates; walk in enrollment;  etc, etc.
  • CONS: A few miles from my apartment in the opposite direction of work.
In all fairness, I needed to check out AG.

  • PROS: Very close to my apartment; 3 locations to use.
  • CONS: Higher rates than Nat; hefty enrollment fee; less open hours; appointment needed to sign up; no month-to-month option; etc, etc.
Yeah, I chose the Nat.  

Not only do they offer all of the above, they have on-line membership renewal, receipt availability, sign-in tracker, activity calendars....WIN-WIN. (I love technology.)

A piece of advice to AG: Asserting that an enrollment fee keeps your rates down does not fly when your yearly rates after the enrollment fee are more per month than the Nat's rates for monthly, non-resident, non-senior members.

Well, I best go make use of that membership....



No comments:

Post a Comment