Sunday, March 1, 2015

It's Lent?

So what am I giving up for Lent?

Not much...actually nothing.

I am so not religious that I refuse to believe giving up something for 40 days because a church tells me to is doing anyone any good.

I thought about playing along...

I thought about giving up sex - but giving up something you do not get anyway probably does not count...

I thought about giving up chocolate, but that would just make me more of a bitch than I already am.  That would not be a good thing - for anyone.

I thought about giving up coffee, but ditto.

I thought about giving up meat once a week and declaring Fridays Sushi Night - anyone in? Or we could change it up and have cheese fondue or shrimp and pierogis, or...

What???

Ok, so maybe substituting something you love with something you love more is not the intent....





I could give up my New Year's resolutions.









I actually considered doing something positive everyday during Lent instead of giving something up.  But then I realized that I feel about Lent like I feel about holidays.

I do not need a church designated batch of days or a declared national holiday to try to be a better person. I can do that any damn time I want - 365 days a year.

That is my cop-out and I am sticking to it.

What are you doing in your life in the spirit of Lent?









No comments:

Post a Comment